About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Oven Candied Tomatoes

Slow roasting tomato halves with olive oil produces something between a confit and a dried tomato. You choose what texture you want depending on how you want to use the end result and how long you want to store them. The drier the consistency the longer the end product will keep. These are best stored in the refrigerator or perhaps even the freezer for longer term storage. This is a great way to turn a big bowl of juicy cherry tomatoes into a modest size jar of candy-like dried tomato nuggets.

Slice tomatoes in half and place cut side up in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and fresh ground pepper. Drizzle with a generous amount of good extra virgin olive oil - the bottom of the dish should be filmed with oil. Sprinkle fresh basil on top (optional). Bake in a 200 F degree oven until they reach a consistency that you like, anywhere from a couple to several hours depending on the size of the tomatoes and the desired consistency. I treat cherry tomatoes the same way and bake them until they are chewy. If the tomatoes are baked until quite chewy they will keep in a well sealed container in the refrigerator for a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!