About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Tomato Risotto With Goat Cheese

8 ounces Paul Robeson tomatoes
2 Szentesi Semi-hot peppers, charred, peeled and seeded (about 1.5 ounces cleaned)

4 ounces chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1.5 ounces diced pancetta (from Boccalone)
1 cup risotto rice (Vialone Nano)
1/3 cup dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
About 2 cups broth (I had duck broth in the freezer), hot
2 ounces boucheron goat cheese without the skin
20 cherry tomatoes, cut in half

Char the tomatoes lightly over an open flame, remove the peels and stems, don't worry about removing all the charred bits of skin. Puree the tomatoes and cleaned peppers in a blender until there are still small bits of pepper visible, set aside.

Saute the pancetta in the olive oil over medium heat in a 2.5L pressure fry pan until the pancetta starts to brown. Add the onion and cook it until it softens. Add the rice and cook until it becomes opaque. Add the wine and cook until most of it is absorbed. Pour in the tomato-pepper puree - add one cup of the stock to the blender container to get the rest of the puree and add it to the pan. Put the lid on the pan, lock it in place and bring the cooker up to high pressure. Turn the heat down to maintain pressure and cook for 5 minutes. Bring the pressure down using a quick release method and uncover the pan. Continue to cook the risotto over low heat, using the rest of the hot broth as needed, until it is nearly done - about 3 to 5 minutes for al dente. Add the cherry tomatoes and crumble in the goat cheese and stir until it is blended in and finish cooking - about 2 more minutes.

Serves 2 generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!