About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Beet Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese

3 medium beets, roasted, peeled, cooled
3 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
about 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
juice of 1/2 lemon
a splash of white wine vinegar (if using meyer lemon)
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon style mustard
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil, about 1/4 cup
a touch of truffle oil (totally optional but totally tasty)

Slice the beets into thin crosswise slices and arrange them on a plate or platter, slightly overlapping. Scatter the crumbled bacon and blue cheese over all. Whisk the remaining ingredients together to make the vinaigrette and drizzle as much as you like over the salad, I didn't use it all for this salad. If I had had some arugula, I would have tossed it separately with some of the vinaigrette and then mounded it in the center of the plate on top of the beets.

Makes 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!