About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Two Turkey Soups

From memory, a couple of soups made with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

Turkey Soup with Posole


Chopped onions
Chopped carrots
Chopped celery
1/2 large fennel bulb, chopped
1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
Frozen 90% cooked white posole from the freezer
Turkey broth from the carcass
1 lb tomato puree from the freezer
1 tablespoon fish sauce (yes)
Cubed turkey meat


Turkey Soup with Farro

Preheat Black Chamba pot over low heat. Raise heat and saute some chopped salt pork, in some olive oil until the pork is crispy. Add some finely sliced fresh sage and saute briefly. Add 1 chopped young onion, saute until soft. Add chopped carrots and chopped celery, sautee briefly. Add 1 quart hot turkey broth and 1 pound defrosted tomato puree and 2 cups hot water. Add 1 cup presoaked farro. Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, on lowest heat until farro is cooked, about 50 minutes. Season with 1 tablespoon fish sauce (yes again). Add cubed turkey meat and heat until warmed through. Serve with a drizzle of best olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!