About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Zucchini Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups (12 to 14 oz) coarsely grated zucchini
1 1/2 cups chopped lightly toasted walnuts


Preheat the oven to 350F. Put the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and stir together thoroughly. Set aside.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl until light and foamy. Beat in the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the zucchini. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until just combined, stir in the nuts. Divide the batter evenly between 2 greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of a loaf comes out clean. Cool on a rack 10 minutes, then turn the loaves out and finish cooling on the rack.

Makes 2 loaves.

I like to use extra virgin olive oil instead of refined vegetable oils when baking. Refined vegetable oils are treated with some really nasty solvents to remove color, flavor and odor - yuck. I've found that the olive flavor is not at all strong and nobody has ever even noticed the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!