About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Romanesco with Crunchy Breadcrumbs

1 head Romanesco broccoli, 12 to 16 ounces, cut into florets, stem peeled and cut in bite sized pieces
3/4 cup breadcrumbs made from stale whole grain bread
3 tablespoons butter
about 1/2 cup fresh grated parmigiano
1 tablespoon salted capers, not rinsed, finely minced
1 dried hot pepper, such as Aji Angelo, seeds removed and finely minced

Preheat the oven to 400F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it liberally.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring constantly, until the breadcrumbs are crisp. Transfer to a bowl to cool. When cool, add the parmigiano, capers, and hot pepper; toss to combine thoroughly.

While the breadcrumbs are cooling, blanch the Romanesco for 1 minute in the boiling water, drain and refresh in cold water, drain thoroughly. Place the Romanesco in a baking dish that will hold it snugly in one layer. Toss it with a small amount of olive oil. Bake until tender, but still a bit firm (or to your liking). Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and return to the oven until the breadcrumbs are heated through.

This made 2 servings for me and my hungry husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!