About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Zucchini Hummus

Here's another way to disguise zucchini. Substitute steamed zucchini for chickpeas to make hummus. I upped the quantity of tahini and olive oil from my favorite chickpea based hummus recipe so this has a nice richness and nuttiness to it. I also used some dried mildly spicy peppers to give it a bit of a kick. When I don't use the dried peppers I usually add a dash or two hot sauce to my hummus.



Zucchini Hummus

1 pound zucchini
2 cloves garlic, peeled
4 halves dried seedless Aji Angelo peppers, or hot sauce, optional
1/2 cup toasted sesame tahini
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspooon ground cumin


Cut the zucchini into chunks and steam for 5 minutes until crisp tender. Immerse immediately in ice water to cool thoroughly. Drain, spin dry or dry on towels.

Chop the garlic and dried peppers together in a food processor. Add the zucchini to the workbowl and process until chopped. Add the tahini to the workbowl and process, adding the lemon juice and olive oil while processing. Add the salt and cumin to the workbowl and continue to process until very smooth. It can take quite a bit of processing to get it very smooth, keep tasting until it is a texture that you like. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.

Makes 3 cups.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!