About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Radishes Beyond Salads

Inspired by an article in San Francisco Chronicle about radishes.



My recent harvest of jumbo Long Scarlet radishes and a few White Icicle radishes prompted me to do some experimenting.

Grilled Radishes and Chard Stems
I thickly sliced the roots on the diagonal and tossed them and some sliced thick juicy chard stems with some olive oil and stir fried them in the grill basket on the BBQ. Cooking mellowed the hotness of the radishes and D couldn't even tell what they were, just that they were good!

Radishes Grilled in Foil Packets
Took one especially large radish and thickly sliced it on the diagonal, closed it up in some heavy duty foil with some butter and fresh tarragon and put it on the BBQ. They were finished in 40-50 minutes (?), wasn't keeping track of time, but it was as long as it took to stir fry the radishes/chard stems and then indirectly roast some salmon on a plank. These were really tasty too.

The Long Scarlets had some beautiful leaves, slightly prickly, but still tender. Sliced those up and sauteed them with the leaves from the same chard (Peppermint Stick) plus some pitted halved cherries and garlic - used butter and olive oil. Finished with salt, pepper, and cherry balsamico. Good again, the radish leaves lost their prickle and heat. Delicious. Going to experiment with the fresh cherries again, add them later so they don't get too soft, but I love the sweet cherries in the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!