About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Soft Broccoli with Brown Butter

There is nothing worse than stinky overcooked broccoli, unless it's stinky over cooked cabbage. So it has taken me a long time to embrace the idea of slowly cooking broccoli to the point of nearly falling apart tenderness. I'm not sure why the slow cooking method works, but it does, at least this method does for me. For this dish I used some good sized side shoots that had the tough skinned bottom part of the stems removed and I left the leaves on. I didn't weigh the broccoli, but it was about 10-12 pieces which was enough to fit comfortably into a 10-inch skillet. One great thing about this preparation is that it takes very little attention and you really don't have too worry too much about overcooking the broccoli.

Broccoli shoots, trimmed as described above
3-4 tablespoons butter
salt
freshly ground black pepper
best quality vinegar, preferably one with a little sweetness, I used Katz Viognier Honey

Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat until the solids in the butter start to brown. Add the broccoli shoots to the skillet, laying them side by side, I nestled them in with the heads in alternating directions, they should sizzle a bit, and cover the skillet. Allow them to cook for a few minutes, until the florets have browned slightly, then turn the broccoli, cover the pan again and allow to cook a few more minutes. Season the broccoli with salt to taste, turn the heat to the lowest setting, cover the pan and allow the broccoli to cook, it should release enough liquid that it will steam in its own juices. Don't peek too often or the pan may dry out, if it does run dry add just a bit of water. Cook until it reaches a desired degree of tenderness, then season with freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of vinegar. Serve immediately, or it will hold a few minutes if covered and taken from the heat.

About 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!