About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Tomatoes Preserved in Olive Oil

Inspired by a recipe in La Cucina: The Regional Cooking of Italy.


Preserved Jaune Flamme Tomatoes
Start with small fresh tomatoes, Jaune Flamme produces tomatoes that are generally 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Slice them in half and dry them in a dehydrator until dry and soft, they should be more moist than they would be for keeping as dried tomatoes.

For about 3 1/2 to 4 ounces tomatoes dried as described above:

1 cup good red wine vinegar, warmed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
Chopped fresh mint or dried oregano to taste
Olive oil as needed

Soak the tomatoes in the warm vinegar for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and toss with the salt, garlic, and olive oil as needed to dress them generously. Pack them in a clean jar and add olive oil to cover. These keep well at room temperature.

Serve these with a dollop of fresh goat or sheep milk cheese as an appetizer. They're tasty added to sandwiches or eaten straight from the jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!