About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Cast Iron Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Parsnips, and Carrots

This is a variation on my basic method of roasting Brussels sprouts in a cast iron skillet. I change the mix of vegetables, condiments, and seasonings nearly every time I prepare it. This is just my latest variation. I don't state a time that it takes to roast the vegetables because it varies depending on how large the sprouts are and how full the skillet it, but generally it takes about 30 minutes, more or less, until the vegetables are browned and tender.

About 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
About 1/2 pound parsnips, scrubbed and cut into chunks
About 1/2 pound carrots, scrubbed and sliced into thick diagonal slices
1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon coarse grained mustard
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat the oven to 400ºF and put a 12-inch cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat also.

Toss the Brussels sprouts, parsnips, and carrots in a bowl with the olive oil and salt to taste. When the oven has come to temperature, carefully remove the cast iron skillet and add the butter, swirling until the butter is melted and starting to brown. Add the vegetables and toss to coat with the butter. Return the skillet to the oven and roast, stirring the vegetables after about 10 minutes and then about every 5 to 7 minutes after that. Roast until the vegetables have become tender and have browned on some sides.

While the vegetables are roasting, stir together the mustard, syrup, and vinegar in a small bowl.

When the vegetables have cooked to your liking, carefully turn the into a serving bowl and toss them with the dressing. Serve immediately.

Makes about 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!