About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Whole Wheat Galette Dough

This dough has become my favorite for making free form savory galettes. I like to use either freshly ground Sonora wheat or Jamu Jamu whole wheat flour that a vendor at my local farmer's market sells. Whole wheat pastry flour is available at my local market. You can also just use all-purpose flour, or white pastry flour, or a combination of white pastry flour and whole wheat flour (white whole wheat would be my preference but not necessary).

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water

Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and butter together in a bowl. Cut the butter in with a pastry cutter, leaving pea-sized pieces. Sprinkle the water over the top and toss the mixture together, it will still be quite crumbly and not form a ball. Turn the mixture out onto a surface and gently knead the mixture together until it forms a rough dough, there should be chunks of butter still visible, it helps to use a dough scraper. Press the dough into a disk and wrap it in waxed paper. Refrigerate the dough for an hour before rolling it out. Roll it into a 16-inch circle to make a 12-inch galette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!