About This Blog

This is, as the title indicates, my kitchen notebook (the header is actually a scanned image of the cover of a notebook that I started using about 25 years ago and the background is a stained page from that book). I am not a professional recipe writer. If you try any recipe here, please keep that in mind, these recipes have not been tested by an independent tester. The "recipes" are often not even really recipes but rather a list of ingredients that I've noted after preparing a dish on the fly that I thought came out well. Perhaps I've also added some instructions, but I rarely keep accurate track of what I've done in terms of time or temperature, I've just noted to the best of my memory (feeble) what I did.

Please feel free to take some inspiration from here, but on the other hand, please give credit where it is due. I also welcome any constructive comments that you might have if you are inspired to try a recipe. Questions are welcome, but keep in mind that I may not remember specifics. The dishes do evolve over time...

Thank you and enjoy!

Cabbage Braised with Italian Sausages

Or should that be Italian Sausages Braised with Cabbage.

All these measurements are approximate because I didn't weigh a thing as I went along, although I know I bought a pound of sausage and used half of a 2+ pound cabbage.

So...

Olive oil (or fat of your choice), about 2 tablespoons (use less if your sausages are very fatty, these were quite lean)
1 pound (4 links) fresh Italian sausages
1/2 sweet yellow onion cut into slivers
1 large fresh true bay leaf
2 small branches fresh thyme
a large pinch of dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon dried tomato pesto (optional, try a dab of tomato paste instead)
1 pound green cabbage cut roughly into 1 to 2-inch squares or strips
about 1 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the sausages to the pan, turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and cook a few minutes to brown once side of the sausages. Turn the sausages over, cover the pan and cook a few minutes more, until the other sides of the sausages are browned. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside for now.

Add the onion slivers, bay leaf, and thyme branches to the pan and saute until the onions soften, a few minutes. Add the dried oregano, garlic, and tomato pesto to the pan and stir to mix. Add the cabbage to the pan and saute until it turns bright green. Nestle the browned sausages in the cabbage mixture, pour in the chicken stock, cover the pan and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is done to your liking and the sausages are cooked through. Season to taste with fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. Remove the thyme branches and bay leaf. Serve the sausages whole on heated plates with a mound of cabbage on the side, spoon the pan juices over all.

Makes 2 large servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!